Follow Me on Pinterest

Saturday, April 27, 2013

Chalk This Up!

There are a bazillion beautiful chalkboard DIY projects and tutorials on Pinterest. 

Still I wanted to try a few of my own.  It just so happened I have a stash of unused frames in my garage calling out to me:  "Use me.  Use me up!"
 
 A quick cleaning with a soft, wet towel and TSP and these frames were ready to be painted.

For the chalkboard insert--I've been thinking about using a painters canvas instead of MDF or plywood.  Joann's carry them in several sizes.  This project required a 16 x 20.  Watch for sales when they are discounted 40-50%.  For odd-sized frames like the white one pictured in this post I used 1/4" MDF cut to size.  I've also been interested in giving the chalkboard spray paint a whirl instead of the brush on type.  Turns out I like the brush on type far better--more on that in a minute.

I spread out my drop cloths and used two pieces of scrap wood to prop the canvas above the cloth.  This picture looks a bit blotchy but that's because the spray paint is partially dry.
The canvas works well and the spray paint covered well the problem was that after writing on the painted chalkboard canvas with white chalk, it was hard to erase. After several attempts to remove the chalk with a few different erasers I finally used a damp cloth and...well...I was just looking for the old-school, authentic chalkboard eraser affect. I'll be returning to the regular chalkboard paint--the paint brush-on type.

After the chalkboard paint dried I slid it right into the frame.  A 16 x 20 frame and a 16 x 20 canvas match perfectly.  Ta-da!

Here's a rectangualar frame and chalkboard propped
on an easel.
Add a few magnets to the back of the
frame and affix it to your refrigerator.

This one is square with hardware affixed to the back so that it can be hung on a wall or door.

Or an "At the Pool" sign near your front door.


Nifty, eh?




I'm only speculating but I think I'll be doing more of these and shipping them off to my nieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment