Follow Me on Pinterest

Friday, August 8, 2014

All Keyed Up

You know we spent the summer up in the Great Lakes area.  We were doing something nearly every day. From visiting relatives and old friends; to craft projects and furniture projects; to canning strawberry, blueberry and cherry jam; to welcoming my oldest into the fold for 4 days and entertaining my youngest daughter's dear friend for the last week of our stay.  We kept those young ones going so much that each time they rode in the car they nodded off to sleep.  Yes!  They did!  I have photos to prove it.

One of our excursions took us to Mackinaw City and Mackinac Island.  After the touring and walking and the afternoon tea at the Grand Hotel we took in a little shopping.  I focused in on some small, lined, zippered bags and some key fobs.

"Hey!  I can do these!"  I thought to myself.  And for pennies on the $40 price tag in those tourist boutiques.
You can do these, too.
  


What you'll need:
  • One 3" x 10" rectangle of fabric.  I used a medium weight canvas.
  • One 2" x 10' rectangle of Pellon 987F fusible fleece.  I found this to be a little too lightweight.  The next batch I will use a heavier weight fusible..
  • One key fob hardware set.  You can get them at JoAnne's for $.3.48 each or try ordering online here.
And here's a good tutorial on how to sew and assemble them.

I've already made 14 snazzy key fobs and it took me about 4 hours.  Talk about a nifty project with quick results!

I must be doing alright because my kids are already staking their claims and asking me to make them for friends.

I'm only speculating but I bet this item will have me singing songs in the key of life knowing my kids think they're cool!



No comments:

Post a Comment