Follow Me on Pinterest

Friday, August 8, 2014

Bag Lady



I told you about the *snap* brilliant idea a had for making my own key fobs after spying one in a touristy boutique priced at $40.  It's only natural, then, I'd think the same thing about those fancy toiletries, make-up, and gadget bags.

Look at this one for $34.  This one for $40. Folks, a simple canvas make-up bag can cost easily $75 and upwards.

I know I can do these. I wanted a size I couldn't find.  A little on the large size.  My daughter saw the first one I made and thought it would fit her things quite nicely and with those beautiful eyes smiling at me I handed it over.  Quite satisfied that once again I knocked out something she wanted.  SCORE!

There are a variety of ways to make your bag.  With or without lining.  With the zipper ends hidden inside the lining or flapped out.  With the ends of the zippers notched inward or with them flared out.  Lined with Pellon fusible fleece or Heat and Bond UltraHold.  After making a dozen or so in various styles using differing materials I developed a style I like best.

 Here you'll see contrast lining and zipper.  This is a simple rectangle pouch without a broadened bottom.  Note the zipper ends are notched to angle inward.  I also used the UltraHold on this.  Ultra Hold is my favorite notion!
 Here you see a bag with the zipper ends sewn into the lining but flared outward.
 NOTE THIS BAG.  One I tried using only fusible fleece.  First mistake.  There is no firmness to this bag, it is soft and doesn't stand upright on its own.  You'll also notice the fleece bunching where the zipper ends, outer fabric and inner lining come together.  There is too much bulk for the zipper ends to meet nicely.  So fusible fleece is outta here!
 This bag is shaped like a trapezoid. That is wider at the top than the bottom.  It also has a notched bottom so that it is broader and will hold far more items.  Again, you can see the results of using the Heat and Bond. 

I looked at several patterns and do-it-yourself magazines and got a good idea of the various techniques and fabrics others have developed. But watching tutorials on YouTube were best.  Take a little time to sit through a few tutorials.  You'll see there are a variety of ways you can install a zipper and a number of ways to line your bag.  After trying several products Heat and Bond is by far my favorite notion for this project.

Here are some good tutorials:

1.  Very good visual, step by step guide to making a bag.  Grace uses iron on vinyl and a lining.  Check it out.
2.  Tutorial for simple bag.  She uses a 4 x 5 template but you can cut to any size you like.  My large bag is 10" at the top by 12" tall.
3.  Here's a tutorial including lining and interfacing.
4.  Anna Evers has a good visual DIY.  She notches the bottom and uses a plastic bag as a liner.  TIP:  Instead of using a plastic bag use the Heat and Bond. 

I'm only speculating and I'm not making this up!  My kids like them; my friends have ooo'd and aahhh'd and they are easy and zippy to make.  Seems like I've got this in the bag!




No comments:

Post a Comment