Follow Me on Pinterest

Thursday, November 13, 2014

Pining For Trees

I saw some wooden Christmas trees on pinterest and thought:  I can do these and I think I'll kick it up a notch, yessiree. 

I started with some scrap plywood.  I think it was from another project in which the backside of something large, hot and red needed rebuilding.
After a little measuring and a little cutting it was time to  sand and prime the plywood.  Then paint however you like.  You can use stencils of stars and other patterns; you can free-hand or you can simply white-wash them for a dramatic, wintery look.

Then it's time to drill! 
Yeah, that's the drill, baby.  She's a yellow, battery-packed hunk o' man-machine but I use her, too.  Mooorrre poweeerr...argh, argh, argh.  Oh, and that's my coffee mug on the work bench.  A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do!  There's nothing quite like steel and power and the smell of sawdust to make a girl's day. I have a bit which drills the perfect size hole for small, LED, battery pack, lights.  I use the 20-pack of lights and drill as many holes. 

Once the bulbs are positioned into the openings I dab a bit of glue onto the back of each light where it meets the hole (using Elmer's wood glue but I think craft glue might work).  At the end I affix the battery pack near the trunk of the tree using Gorilla glue.  That's key because other glues will dry out and turn brittle and won't hold from season to season.  Gorilla glue it is!


After the paint and glue are dry here's the final product. Shiny and bright.  Bejeweled and blinged out!  Snow Queen Elsa would melt. 


I don't have to speculate much for I know my kids will be barking up my tree hoping to nab a few of these for their holiday decor.   FIR-realllll, Mom!  And I'll be de-light-ed.

No comments:

Post a Comment