Follow Me on Pinterest

Friday, May 3, 2013

Forcing Bulbs

     My garden produced a bumper crop of amaryllis this year.  These are the apple blossom blooms in variegated shades of pink.
     I received my first amaryllis bulb in full-bloom for Christmas 2002.  My neighbor, with whom I became good friends, left a potted, blooming, fragrant display on my doorstep Christmas morning.  Joy!
     She taught me that I could plant them in my garden where they would bloom in early April straight through late July.  These bulbs, 54 this year, came from that original gift.  She also taught me that I could force amaryllis bulbs like this and others like tulip, daffodil, narcissus, and more!
How to:
For single bulbs, use a pot about 1 inch bigger than the bulb. For multiple bulbs, pick a larger container and place bulbs close together.  Amaryllis should only be forced in soil though I have seen them forced in water.  The bulbs forced in water are weaker and smaller and will not bloom for long. Soil should be fast draining and have plenty of sand.

Fill the bottom of your pot with soil so the bulb will rest at correct depth. Spread out the roots of your amaryllis bulb. Place bulb in the partially filled pot and continue to pack with soil. Be sure to leave about one third of the bulb above the soil line. Water thoroughly until soil is moist. Continue checking bulb for moisture each day and water as needed.  Time to bloom varies depending on the type of bulb. My experience has been they take about 7 weeks to bloom.  I start my winter blooms on November 1st.  For indoor, spring blooms I start them on February 1st.  Keep your potted amaryllis in a sunny spot.  You will enjoy your blooms for about 2 weeks.

Once your indoor blooms have finished.  Cut the greenery down to the bulb leaving about 3 inches of the neck.  Dry bulbs thoroughly to avoid rot.  Store in a cool place for your next forcing or plant in your outdoor beds.

If I had to speculate, I think once my bulbs have finished for the summer, I'll be culling about 20 of them and setting them aside for forcing in November!

No comments:

Post a Comment